Green Homes Grants for Insulated Render (EWI) and other Insulation

Government Green Home Grants for Insulated Render (EWI)

As part of the Governments plan to rescue the economy and to improve energy efficiency across the country’s housing stock, the chancellor Rishi Sunak has announced a grant scheme with up to £5000 available for improving the energy performance of people’s homes.  There is also a proposed grant of £10,000 for people to fund eco works should they be claiming certain benefits.

The Government are putting £2 billion aside for the green home upgrades in England only and the grants will not cover Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The Government has now, in its 4 August update, confirmed the full list of improvements covered by the scheme.

As expected, it’s more complex than it originally appeared. To qualify for any financial support, you’ll need to be installing at least one of the following “primary” improvements:

Insulation, including external wall insulation, internal wall insulation, wall, cavity wall, underfloor, loft or roof insulation.

Low carbon Heating, such as air-source or ground-source heat pumps, or solar thermal systems, which provide renewable ways of heating your home.

How Much Will The Vouchers Be Worth?

For most of the houses, the vouchers will be up to £5000 but can only be used as two thirds of the full amount of the cost of the works.  So if the quote was £4000 the home owner would pay £1320 with the Government contributing £2680 via the Green Homes Voucher.

For people on Low Incomes the Government will cover all of the cost of the improvements up to a limit of £10,000 with no homeowner contribution.

How can I apply for a voucher? 

The Government says that homeowners will be able to access advice and support from the Simple Energy Advice service (SEA) about making their homes more energy efficient from “later this month” (August).

The SEA service will then suggest home improvements for which homeowners can apply for funding, and homeowners will be offered a list of approved registered tradespeople in their area to carry out the work.

Once the work is agreed, vouchers will start to be issued from “the end of September”.

Will any firm be able to do this – or just specific installers? 

The Government says households will be offered a list of accredited tradespeople in their area who are registered with the scheme to carry out the work.

To be part of the scheme, tradespeople must register for TrustMark or Microgeneration Certification Scheme accreditation.

Insurend will be able to carry out work under this grant system and is the best first stop to apply or ask about the scheme.





2020-08-18T15:00:31+01:00August 18th, 2020|Blog|